Friday, June 19, 2009

Windows XP add/remove program tool problem? solution is here

Recently I faced this weired problem: all on a sudden my control pannel’s “Add/Remove Programs” stopped working. I click on it but nothing is shown. After searching a while I got very limited information. On msdn site I found something that is applicable to windows server 2000. However I followed it but it didn’t solve my problem. After further search and wasting more time I finally got the solution. Here is what you have to do:

Step 1 to 8 is identical what the msdn forums says, In my case I have to do an additional step (step 9) and reboot my machine.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. In the Command window, type regsvr32 mshtml.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
5. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
6. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
7. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
8. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
9. In the Command window, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPLand then press ENTER.
10. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.

11. Close the Command window and restart your pc.

Hope this will solve your problem as mine did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RelatedPost

Blog Widget by LinkWithin